Friday, May 1, 2009

Labour Day

Labour Day, the first of May.

What would we do without Labour Day? As the name suggests, this is the international public holiday given to us so that we can catch up on all our work. Just look at all the Internal Assessments, TOK/KI, EEs, random worksheets, studying for tests...even I'm having a hard time dealing with all this crap (FYI, my average sleep time has decreased...I now sleep at about 11 every night, especially if I want to watch anime). 

Thankfully, some kind soul has given us time to catch up with of all this work, giving us a brief respite from the piles of projects and work. Imagine the horror if Labour Day fell on a Saturday! For one, the prices of movie tickets would skyrocket. Goodness.

So...yes, now that Labour Day has finally arrived, I have actually found time to post on this blog (which is not dead yet, might I remind you). Impossible as it is, work has actually kept me from doing the things I'd prefer to be doing - nevertheless, such a thing will not happen again...or at least, it won't happen after term 2. 

Once again, we need to thank the kind soul who gave us Labour Day...what would we do without him?

-------------------------------

Of course, Labour Day wasn't really created so that we could catch up with our work. That's pretty dumb, since the whole point is that you were supposed to be taking a break from your work in the first place. Nevertheless, some people do indeed believe that the above is true - Labour Day exists so that we can labour through our backlog. The fact that we were actually able to book a badminton court today speaks multitudes about the culture in this country (admittedly, it could also do with the fact that many of us don't like exercising). 

Well...okay, so let's get into the crux of this, shall we? I'll assume that you guys already know what Labour Day was supposed to represent...if you don't, then Google it. It's not that hard, as Jarrel keeps telling me.

To me, Labour Day is about seeing and appreciating the fruits of your labour. Many of the IB students study because they have to - they don't really know why they're studying. Oh, sure - many people study 'cos they want to be doctors, lawyers. But why Doctors and Lawyers? Well, because they earn the most money, I guess.

Okay, so I'm making one heck of a generalisation there, sorry. But hey, some people do have that kind of motivation. What about me, you ask? Well, according to the lastest thingymabobby that our school has given us, geologists are the least paid of all jobs in Singapore. Can't remember the figure, but it was at least a digit smaller that most. Poor, poor boy I am.

So...why Geology then? It pays dirt. Literally.

Well, it's 'cos I like studying Geology, just as some people like studying Medicine and some like studying Law. Unfortunately, I believe that we're kind of a rare breed. Of course, I know quite a few people who studying 'cos they like what they study...but trust me, they're few and far between.

---------------------

Anyway, I  think we kind of went off track there. Missed the point, you know? We were at appreciating the fruits of your labour. Well, our labour doesn't just refer to our work and studies. It shouldn't, really, because we haven't actually garnered any fruits from our studies yet. 

So what other fruits are there? Well, there are the fruits of your social life. How many friends do you really have at this moment? There are few friends that will stay as your friends through your life - those that do are increasingly difficult to find these days. As much as I'd like to believe that I'll never forget you guys, and as much as I'd like to believe that you guys will never forget me, there is always the chance that one of us will forget the other.

And so...I'd like to take this chance to thank all of you for being my friends. Mostly because I might not have the chance to do so in the future, when I will look back on my teenage life and remember all the people who made me...well, me. I'll try my best never to forget you guys (there are some guys I know I'll never forget), but please forgive me if I ever forget any of you. I'm not perfect, unfortunately, even though I try to be!

Hehe, you guys are the best, really! And please remind me about that in the future, because one of my major failings is taking things for granted in this world. At the risk of sounding like a lucky bastard, I would say that I've really been blessed with good luck (even better than yours, Darrell). 

Come on, how many of you have the chance to play games like Pen and Paper Fire Emblem with your IB Year 5 brother and Sec 2 sister? How many of you have a chance to talk one on one with your father about the problems with your school life, especially emotional problems and troubles of the heart?

And perhaps the most valuable of all...how many of you have the chance to sit down on the floor as your great-grandmother tells you how much she loves you?

I may not be able to play Blazblue. I may not be the most reliable person around.  I may not be able to sing, dance, or play an instrument. But God damn me if I'm not the most blessed person around these parts.

So appreciate the world around you. That's what Labour Day is about. Remembering everyone and anyone who made this world possible. And damn it, this world is good.

-----------------------

And of course, now I've got to go back to my EE. Hopefully, my next post will come sooner.

No comments: