Saturday, February 14, 2009

Idealism

Well, it's been a long time since I've blogged, and it's not a great wonder if you've known what I've been through the past week. Nevertheless, hthings have been looking up, and so I'm pretty much back to normal!

Another reason why I've not blogged is because of the relatively unsavory comments left by Mrs Cherilyn, which, although true, are still kinda "AHH WHAT THE HECK MIGHT AS WELL NOT BLOG" inducing. But heck, I'll just try and blog something today - after all, no one's perfect.

Speaking of perfection, I think I'll talk about perfection in this blog post. Mostly because I'm bored, but also because it was the first thing that came to my mind, yup. Anyway, we need to talk about perfection in relation to something, right? Hmm...let's see, let's see...what day is it today? Oh yes! It's Valentine's Day! Perfect!

Well, well, well. This topic is pretty close to my heart, because I sappily think that love is the most important thing in this world, and because I believe in a very idealized version of love. But this isn't always a good thing, because it generally tends to get you hurt a lot - I'd be the first to admit that it does. But heck, in the end, it's quite worth it. At least, I hope so.

To be honest, my idealized view of life comes from my upbringing. My parents and siblings were always very kind and nice to me, and so I never really had any troubles at home, which I know is very different from some of my friends. In addition, my first introduction to books was David Eddings, and in his stories, everyone either:

1. Gets Married
2. Falls in Love
3. Is Killed
4. All of the above, or any combination of the three

Yup, that's right. Most of the characters in Eddings have really good endings, and most of those good endings involve falling in love and getting married off to other characters. Many of the characters are handsome, beautiful, angels (in terms of personality) and generally all-round Mary Sues. Which, in my opinion, is not a bad thing!

In the end, that's how I grew up. I've always thought that love was a really sacred thing that shouldn't be taken lightly, and that deserved a lot of respect. This was the reason for my outburst a week out (involving that idiot and divorce), as well as my general contempt for anyone who divorces, has an abortion, etc, etc. Being a romantic, I would never, ever do things like that, and I probably never will.

Being a romantic is generally very recognisable. I don't know about real romantics (I'd have to go to France for that), but I know that I am absolutely terrible amongst girls. I learnt that as early as Pri 4, but it still haunts me to this very day. Even now, I don't think that I could ever say "No" when asked by a girl to do something (of course, I'd probably not say "No" when any of my other friends asked me something either), and I still can't talk to girls as freely as I can talk to guys. I have no idea how to treat girls properly (as evidenced by my absolute failure during my class's angel-mortal game), and I'll probably have no idea what to do with a girl when/if I get a girlfriend.

Of course, there are a lot of bad points to being a romantic. Number One is that I'm very likely to be the one to initiate relationships, and probably be the one who'll be dumped at the end of it all. This will mean a lot of pain, and hurt, and a hell lot of crying (which I am very wont to do). Getting out of a relationship and getting over a girl I like will probably be a lot harder for me than it will be for anyone else, and I've already been through quite a lot of that, I think!

Another bad thing about being a romantic is that there's always the fear that he/she will never be loved or married. If you asked me, my greatest fear would probably that of not getting married to someone else. Sure, that's a very stupid fear, because everyone's getting married nowadays. That's true, of course, but how many of those couples stay married? It's one thing to fall in love, and a completely different thing to stay together for the rest of your life. You can't just give everything to someone you know will not love you forever and ever. At least, romantics can't.

That's why being a romantic is a very difficult job. You are essentially searching for a perfect scenario, an event that probably only exists in stories and movies. In real life, searching for the perfect person, or a soul mate, is really very difficult, and although I believe that there is someone out there for me, finding her is a completely different matter. For all I know, I've already missed my chance!

That's also a reason why a lot of people criticise romanticists. Throwing your heart to the wind and hoping that destiny or fate will blow it somewhere nice is not just impractical, it's also really freaking dumb. I too, admit that doing this isn't exactly the most rational thing to do. There is always the chance that I'll end up being alone and lonely.

But I say hell to all of that! I guess that the Do-or-Die Gamble is all part of the fun of being a romanticist. Seeing whether or not all this romanticist stuff pays off in the end is what I really look forward to. No matter what the result, I've always enjoyed being a romanticist. To quote a very good friend of mine, "It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you don't regret what you did."

And I must say, I don't think I'll ever regret this!

No comments: