Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Academic Awards and Other Stuff

Not for the first time this year, I realise that I am surrounded by some incredibly smart people. Generally, I am reminded about this fact every time I see a particular person from a particular class. *ahem ahem* I think you know who this guy is.

But this time, my observation has been driven by the fact that many of the recent Academic Award winners are either from my class, my previous class or just people I know as friends. It is really quite scary...here's a list of subjects (rather than names).

My "last time" class
1st in Level
3rd in Level
Physics (HL)
Mathematics (HL)
Biology (HL)
Geography (HL)
Biology (SL)
Geography (SL)

My "this year's" class
History (HL)
Language Arts (HL)
Economics (HL)
Visual Arts (HL)
Computer Science (there's only HL for this stuff...so random)
Theatre Arts (SL...again quite random)

Good Friends
Mathematical Studies (there's only SL for this stuff)
French B (same for this as well...this one is also damn random)
Economics (SL)

And these are only the people that I know personally! As in, that means I hang around them for quite some periods of time! Quite amazing, I must say. Quite scary as well...I didn't know there were so many smart people around me. It's really frightening. I guess I'm just lucky that I know these guys.

Of course, academic awards aren't the only important things in times like this - companionship is pretty important as well, and I feel that I've gotten to know a lot of people better over the course of this year. Okay, so that's being a little dumb, 'cos the year's lasted the whole of two months. But what the heck, I've learnt a lot about various friends, both new and old. Which is a very good thing. I think it's important to understand your friends well, to know their aims and aspirations and outlooks in life!

Keep looking forward! We'll all (hopefully/definitely/probably) get a prize someday!

No comments: